We want you to join our team of volunteers!
“Give what you have to somebody, it may be better than you think.”
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-82)
York Care Centre Nursing Home is fortunate to have a full complement of activity directors. We host a variety of activities and events for our 214 residents. The resident’s quality of life is of utmost importance to us and we believe regular and special activities, along with seasonal events, are essential aspects of daily living.
- Volunteers Urgently Needed:
- Sunday worship service porter - This involves the volunteer assisting in taking our residents to the service (either walking with them to the Friendship Centre or portering (pushing them in their wheelchair)) and at the end of service assisting the resident back to their unit. Commitment is 2:00pm-3:30pm. You are not required to assist each week but assistance once per month would be greatly appreciated!
- Drivers – currently looking for individuals to drive our van to chauffeur residents to and from appointments and special outings. Availability through the day, evenings and weekends. Requirements: To drive the van is a regular class 5 license, but to drive our bus you are required to have a class 4.
- Medical accompaniments – looking for volunteers who would be able to accompany a resident to medical appointments. Often we have residents who need someone to attend an appointment with them to advocate for the individual, or just to assist the resident to transport to the appropriate areas.
For more information contact:
Stephanie Seymour, Manager of Volunteer Services, at 444-3880 ext. 3111.
OUR WELCOME MAT IS OUT!
Volunteers help make our activities happen more regularly. Opportunities exist to help with the following:
Special Outside Events
- Special Outings
- Fall Drives
- Summer Outings
- Seasonal Events including:
St. Patrick’s Day
Mother’s/Father’s Day Celebrations
Remembrance Day Services
Regular Outside Activities
- Medical accompaniment
- Escorts on the bus
- Van Driver – Class 4 License
Regular On-site Activities
- Friendly Visiting
- Morning Socials
- Card Games
- Communion (Pastoral Care Department)
- Evening Programs
- Nail Care
- Weekend Programs
- Alzheimer Unit Recreation Program
- Cooking / Baking
- Story Time
- Organist / Pianist
- Worship Services (Pastoral Care Department)
- Narrative Program
- Music & Memory: iPod Program
- Intergenerational Programming
- Talking circles: “engaging residents in thoughts”
- Discussion of our World
- Trivia Games
- Family Tea (Sundays @ 3:00pm)
- Physical Activity Programs
- Pet Care
New ideas are always welcome!
“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.”
Volunteer Application Forms
Click to download the Volunteer Application Form: Volunteer Application Form
Click to download the Junior Volunteer Application Form: Junior Volunteer Application